JohnnyirishXM

Daily Stock Threads Feb-March 2014

150 posts in this topic

Starting new thread for Feb/March 2014...lots of things going on in mains ,bonds ,gold and dollar index..Mnkd is getting ready to run and sxm is in limbo til news...Gild is still looking great also..

Thomas M. Rutledge seems like a man on a mission. The U.S. cable operator he runs, Charter Communications, is preparing a slate of replacement directors for larger rival Time Warner Cable, the target of his $60 billion hostile bid. He may also have roped in Comcast to alleviate financial worries about the plan to take over his former employer.

Almost a year ago, Mr. Rutledge gained the backing of cable magnate John C. Malone, whose Liberty Media bought a 27 percent stake in Charter. Not long after, Charter made its first approach to Time Warner Cable. The company’s latest bid, at $132.50 a share, falls short of the $160 headline valuation demanded by Robert D. Marcus, the target’s chief executive.

The resistance has only emboldened Mr. Rutledge, who was once a candidate to lead Time Warner Cable but lost out to an internal rival. He is now on the verge of proposing 13 new members to his quarry’s board. Comcast may also be willing to buy a big slug of Time Warner Cable’s systems from Charter, which would help Mr. Rutledge pay for the deal and make the combined company financially stronger.

Without the help, and at the currently proposed price, Charter would need to borrow about $25 billion. Add that to the $38 billion of net debt the two companies already carry and it would equate to about 5.6 times their combined expected Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, or Ebitda,  before any synergies. Assume Comcast buys 20 percent of Time Warner Cable’s operating earnings for 20 percent of the purchase price in cash. Then, even at a sweetened $150-a-share price, the leverage multiple would shrink toward a more manageable five times.

SIRI shareholders take note......

You mnkd boys might be interested in this , I think it isnt the end all but they are talkin about fda approval by may! Its a little complex for the ordinary guy but i believe that will get better!           http://eternityhealthcare.com/invest-now/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Google%20Advertising%20    Watch the video its pretty informative

Interesting....but the use is too complicated for the average person ....need to simplify the use imo. Don't see a child or an older person using this, too many steps.

Newly promoted Time Warner Cable CEO Rob Marcus says he's confident his board would reject Charter Communication's recent $37.3 billion acquisition offer even if some board members were nominated by Charter.

Board members must act in the interest of shareholders, and that duty would keep them from approving Charter's offer because it undervalues the company, Marcus said Thursday on CNBC's "Squawk on the Street."

"The idea of waging a proxy fight here strikes me as a less-than-viable strategy," Marcus said. "I'm confident that [board members] would actually come to the same conclusion about the value that we can create versus what Charter is offering. I certainly do."

Charter offered $132.50 a share earlier this month, and Time Warner Cable countered by saying it would only consider a deal worth $160 per share. Marcus stood his ground on Thursday, but left open further talks.

More info on proposed deals issues.........

http://news.yahoo.com/sprint-chief-touts-telecom-consolidation-205214177.html

ew York (AFP) - The head of US number three wireless carrier Sprint on Tuesday touted consolidation for the US mobile industry, but declined to comment on a potential tie-up with T-Mobile USA.

Sprint chief executive Dan Hesse said he had argued for some time that industry consolidation -- excluding leaders AT&T and Verizon -- "would be better for the country and better for consumers."

Hey guys.

Sold out of my SIRI position a couple months back, it was a great ride dating back to 2007.

Moved a chunk of my $$ into GILD.  Had a great 2013 and prospects for 2014 look strong as well.  Missed the '13 move, but I don't think it's done climbing.

Hope everyone's doing well.

So comcast,as Meffei said last month" will be in it".has bought that POS TWC,per Asm..lol...sorry SXM holders,you lost out big time here imo..

this deal will go through np Rel...all stock deal too..comcast shareholders get diluted big time,but roberts announcing now a new 10 bil stock buy back deal,deal is also tax free for twc holders..getting it for 6.6x rev

This deal should hit charter stock hard down,which will effect lmca and hence sxm,,down 8 cents in pre so far to 3.48..3.01 is marked in pre..tentative tho.lets see how street evaluates it...no real idea on my end imo..

I couldn't be happier for SXM shareholders....it was a terrible deal for SXM shareholders irish......no voting rights, just STFU while we use your cash and lever you to the hilt on behalf of the mighty Liberty and their little sidekick Charter. Those two were the real beneficiaries of that deal, not SXM shareholders. SXM shareholders were the boil on his ass that he had to put up with....and they still are.

Reuters) - Comcast Corp said on Thursday it would buy Time Warner Cable Inc for $45.2 billion in an all-stock deal that combines the two largest U.S. cable operators.

The friendly takeover comes as a surprise after months of public pursuit of Time Warner Cable by smaller rival Charter Communications Inc, and immediately raised questions as to whether it would pass regulatory scrutiny.

Comcast will pay $158.82 per share, which is roughly what Time Warner Cable demanded from Charter.

If you notice irish....TWC wanted no part of Malone and his BS either.

Still don't understand how they can violate their % of cable ownership laws...

those laws are vacated rel twice now,like supreme court dide with the bush v gore one,lower courts need to rewrite opinion or stike it down..in limbo,but not tested at higher courts yet..Roberts said they will divest 3 mil customers to keep it under 30% tho.he doesn't want to test it here yet..but Malone wanted too..

those laws are vacated rel twice now,like supreme court dide with the bush v gore one,lower courts need to rewrite opinion or stike it down..in limbo,but not tested at higher courts yet..Roberts said they will divest 3 mil customers to keep it under 30% tho.he doesn't want to test it here yet..but Malone wanted too..

Ok cool...If I were DOJ, no brainer...No benefit for customers...Wouldn't allow it...Diverting customers?  Sounds like Comcast is another who needs the law type company...LOL...Love it...Creates fewer choices for consumers and would be a bad thing for the general consuming publics best interests...O, not like that will matter...LOL...Just saying the facts...

I would expect most content providers to balk at this attempt...Whole different story with Charter buying them VS. Comcast...

Rel,please,get it right,,this is good for consumers,keeping content cost down with power is what keeps video cable bills from rising so much,comcast and TWC don't compete in one area of this deal,it gives comcast access to ny and LA markets and their sports channells also,big reason they want it..but holy grail is bussiness broadband..

I said divesting, customers,selling them off to other cable co's not diverting around the supposed vacated law,geez,you comment then read what is said,you couldn't be more wrong..

I'm sure Malone is happier than a pig in poop.  He wanted consolidation and he's getting it, whether in on the deal or not.  They'll all benefit from oligopoly forming in front of us - not so sure for the consumer.

Now I'm going to attempt to make ASM throw up in his mouth a little bit. Article is from last year, and hear's the quote.

"It's almost like he feels — with some justification — that the industry needs him to come riding back on a white horse to make things right again," media analyst Craig Moffett of research firm MoffettNathanson said.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-ct-malone-cable-20131022,0,5567066.story#ixzz2tDCi8oxf

irish,

I am kinda surprised Comcast went for it...they already have huge presence in N East and West coast, I am sure those are the areas they are going to have to divest customers...interested to see what happens here in NC.

Rel,please,get it right,,this is good for consumers,keeping content cost down with power is what keeps video cable bills from rising so much,comcast and TWC don't compete in one area of this deal,it gives comcast access to ny and LA markets and their sports channells also,big reason they want it..but holy grail is bussiness broadband..

LOL  AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH...Thank you irish...Needed that....You should do stand up...I honestly cant think you actually believe this?  Illogical...

Hey everyone, less competition is good for consumers...LOL...Hold on , let me get a pen...I got to write that gem down so I don't forget it...

Well here is a thought , malone was gonna sell comcast what they wanted , maybe comcast turns around and sells malone what he wanted

Well here is a thought , malone was gonna sell comcast what they wanted , maybe comcast turns around and sells malone what he wanted

Nice thought SOS