butterfly1

China buying up America

7 posts in this topic

I heard that the Chinese was investing heavily in American infrastructure and real estate. I wanted to know what others think about this and if they have any insight.

Some interesting news.

There's definitely some truth to that but it's happening across the world and not just the US. The extent by which Chinese investors will be allowed to invest in the US and other places is ultimately going to be down to what individual governments allow. I'm pretty sure the US government is keeping an eye on events.

There was a story a few years ago about a Chinese billionaire that wanted to buy a massive chunk of Iceland so as to build things like golf courses and a luxury hotel. His efforts were blocked by the Icelandic government, though he also had plans to buy land in other Scandinavian countries as well. .

China bides its time.  Look at their history... their very perception of their place in mankind's timeline is that they have the will and stamina to patiently play world events like a chess board.

There is much to watch... but as with any attempt to exert control over a sovereign entity financially.... ultimately the people/government can reject that influence.  Look at some of the U.S. failures in the past with regard to corporate infrastructure being taken over in Central America....Middle East...... 

China is smart enough though to know this.  That is why they wage such a complex economic juggernaut on the globally linked financial landscape.....

Not just America but the rest of the world. The Chinese are everywhere and their investing and buying in just about every country they deem will give them a good return. Their economy is growing by leaps and bounds, though there has been some slow down lately. I don't think this will deter them much, many are expecting China to become the world's largest economy very soon. 

And the thing is China doesn't need to wage war with guns and bullets. It has enough firepower to increase its economic influence globally in a variety of other ways.

hese things are never a one-way bet, and I'm certainly not a conspiracy theorist. But there's a reason why analysts termed the 21st century the "Asian Century". The resources, the intellectual capital, the economic growth etc are all playing their part.

Hey guys where do you see the housing markets go from here? Higher interest rates and lower prices? Or more of the same?

I reckon that we'll see a tipping point where we'll see property prices across major markets globally to soften, on the back of interest rates rising. Whether that will result in a soft landing in property markets or something more severe is yet to be determined. The assumptions are that something will happen late 2015 or early 2016.  But there are some markets globally that definitely could do with a dose of reality (e.g. New York, London, Hong Kong). 

Even I have read about Chinese investors investing in US real estate, especially after the stock market crash. Seems like Chinese investors don't trust to invest in the chinese equities anymore! Don't know in what way its gonna affect the US. But, at least situation looks better than the one in china.

US Economic Forecast 2016