GodfreyO

TWTR a takeover target?

30 posts in this topic

The stock is down at its 2013 IPO levels, its recent revenue guidance was disappointing and the company still needs a new CEO.

On the back of all this there are a few rumors going around that TWTR  is ripe for a takeover. Google (as you would expect) is a name in the frame. I guess it's a "watch this space" situation at the moment.

Had to look far to dig this up, but in honor of Irish, I will attempt to get this going. Twitter looks like it's about to break out here. Chart looks good and rumors still abound especially that Softbank (Another potential acquirer) has agreed to invest in the US. Twitter is huge in Japan and would be the perfect asset for their portfolio.

At HOD right now and continuing upward. Above all moving averages and bullish cross of MACD on daily. Very interesting....

Taking a bit of a breather today. Riding Upper BB for now and there is a possibility we could see 20 later on in the afternoon. Next week is Monthly OPEX with a ton of open interest at the 20 strike. Thinking a move to 22 might be possible before a pullback. Buyout rumors continue to circle the stock at the moment. Any denial and it would see a reversal back to 16 - 18 range.

Low volume and monthly OPEX means games will be played. Will need to see the close, but I remain bullish here.

Nice recovery today, but there is a gap at 18.93 and I don't like that AH print of 18 late last night. However, the stock is gaining momentum. 20 day has crossed above the 50 and will be above the 100 shortly. MACD still bullish. Target of 21 - 22 for this week remains unless we give up all of today's gains.

Ebenezer Yellen arrives to disrupt the market movement. The good news is that we closed the gap on low volume. The bad news is that 18 print might have been a sign of where we are headed. First support around 18.80 - 18.83. Watch for a bounce there. Then in our ridiculous news item of the day, there is this:

www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-14/strange-reason-why-twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-was-not-inveted-trump-meeting

Now Reuters is saying Twitter excluded due to low market cap. In either case, Dorsey needs to be relieved of his CEO duties so he can go be a full time hippie. Not a fan of his at all and believe he will be pushed out sometime next year if the company isn't bought out first.

Hovering around support right now. Need to close above 18.83 otherwise a trip to 18.65 will occur followed by 18.25 then 18. Tomorrow is a big OPEX expiration. No idea what the MM's have planned with so much OI around 19 and 20. My guess is they want to keep it under 19.

Possible OPEX hangover day so continue to watch support levels I mentioned above. Look for a run to 19 if 18.83 breaks. I've noticed a pattern that twitter runs up first 3 days of the week then sells off Thursday and Friday. We'll see if that repeats again this week...

Hmmm.. everything up and this is down on low volume. Bearish cross on MACD. Looks like 18.20 is next, but I remain suspicious of this move down.

First buying OP here, but watch for test of 200 day, however anything in 17.50 - 18 range should be a good buy a month or two from now.

hughes, i have been pasively following twtr for awhile, what do you think of all of these top execs bolting?  two more today.... wonder if they were "fired" or are they getting out before a sale?  not sure of what type of options/stock they all own so i could be way off base here...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitter-just-lost-yet-another-220905221.html

Steiny, this continues the exodus of people from Twitter which IMO is because they know what is coming. I tend to think they will report 4th qtr earnings first then the buyout will come, but we will see what January brings.

makes sense.  still think it's possible 13.73 low is taken out before any buyout....  just an FYI - gaps at 14.02 - 14.51 and 15.36 - 15.40 on the daily chart.

After today, lower is in the cards, but how low remains to be seen. Plenty of time before Q4 CC to fill those gaps you mentioned....

Seems to be stabilizing down here and buyout chatter picking up again. Love it at these levels, but the gaps Steiny mentioned still have the possibility of filling.

I was happy to open a small position under $18 on Tue. Then the news hit and I was much happier to get back out in pre market on Wed.morning for a slight loss. (I wasn't so lucky on my last disastrous move).          So right now I'm spooked, but happy.      I may start looking again around the $15.40 gap that Steiny mentioned, but buy out rumors are still just rumors (fundamentals and corporate structure are not looking too good right now.

Still like Twitter down here as RSI is bottoming out. The only concern I have is what January brings for the markets. Everyone seems to expect a correction which usually means it won't happen. Probably happen in February after Trump is officially in office.

Twitter has had a buyout rumor for a while. I don't expect a buyout, but I suppose it's not out of the question. Just a year or two ago, it seemed like FB and TWTR would go similar paths. I sure didn't expect FB to goto the grand levels its at now. I never bought any FB and anyone would regret it now looking in the past. TWTR doesn't really seem like it'll get moving for a while. I would guess that overtime the stock price annihilation has left a lot of retail investor (people) holding the bag. I am a retail investor myself, but I'm trying to get away from that, and on the next level!    :-(

TWTR 2017.png

Still following a weak chart, but RSI shows potential bottom here. Watching 50 and 200 longer term. Could get ugly before it gets better. I'm stil sticking with my call of Dorsey removal and buyout which will move this higher.

Don't look now, but Twitter back over the 200 day and trying for the 50 day on the daily. Close over this would be extremely bullish setting up a run for 18+.

Earnings on Thursday as the run up begins. Good call activity on the March 20 strike today. Could be a sign of things to come, but caution is always warranted in a volatile stock like this. I'm hoping for some clarity on Dorsey getting his walking papers. Company will be capped as long as his arrogance continues to fuel his belief that he can run two companies at once. If they deny a buyout on the call, I expect the stock to tank. I don't expect this as I think the BO comes shortly ( 1 -2 months) after they report.

Typical results for Twitter although I thought MAU was better than expected. Company does not succeed as long as Jack is in charge. Expect BO and Dorsey removal chatter to heat up. See how low they take it before the buy the rumor starts. Close is important today.

On 2nd thought, it was not Twitter who turned down the BO offer. I almost completely forgot about this:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/21/salesforce-ceo-marc-benioff-i-love-twitter-but-shareholders-didnt-want-to-buy-it.html

Dorsey and Noto get a pass. I'll continue to watch, but the stock did have a death cross occur recently which usually signals more trouble ahead. However, the Dorsey share buy may have put a floor in the stock for now.